![]() |
| Mr. and Mrs. Springer ordered Lattes..... |
Today was exciting.. I waited on Jerry Springer! I was in a ‘groove’, you might say, while working at the
register I was planted at--taking orders over and over and over. With a paper cup in my
hand, I would dutifully mark codes with my purple sharpie marker, when I asked the customer that I hadn't even looked at, ....“name on the cup?”
And the voice replied…”ummmmm….....Jerry Springer?”
Immediately, the cynical me thought, sure smart ass, because James Bond was in here yesterday”.
I am not kidding. A man had just come in the day before and gave the name James Bond.
However, I looked
up, and in the fraction of a second it took my mind to process—‘well, he LOOKS like Jerry Springer…” another fraction of a second of my
cynical self asked the question-----‘if you were a Jerry Springer look-alike, would
you go around saying you were Jerry, if
you were really not?’ I decided.. not.
Maybe if you were Cher, but not Jerry Springer.
You would not want to tell anyone that, if it were not true.
You would not want to tell anyone that, if it were not true.
Upon looking up from the cup, and taking his wife’s order, I smiled and gave him the total, to which he made me watch him drop a whole dollar in to the tip cup, then
he handed me membership gold card to pay. I
thanked him most graciously and moved on.
He sat in our tiny lobby with his wife, the both of them, sipping lattes. No one bothered him. This did not surprise me.
He sat in our tiny lobby with his wife, the both of them, sipping lattes. No one bothered him. This did not surprise me.
Later, I recounted the event to my co-worker to Christina,
who said to me,
“He tipped one dollar?
I have had homeless men tip me more than that!” I nodded in agreement.
News of this even spread like wildfire in my tiny
store. I was excited to have been a part
of it. By the end of my shift everyone knew. My store Manager, Noel, related how a famous soap-opera star lived nearby and was a regular
customer. "Her daughters are absolutely beautiful, and they come in here, too!" She commented, adding to the excitement. I had no idea who they were speaking of.
My soap opera days were limited to early college, and, due to my sister's viewing habits-- strictly General Hospital. It was the fabulous Luke and Laura era.
But today,.....today......I waited on a celebrity……Ah, Yes.
My soap opera days were limited to early college, and, due to my sister's viewing habits-- strictly General Hospital. It was the fabulous Luke and Laura era.
But today,.....today......I waited on a celebrity……Ah, Yes.

No comments:
Post a Comment